Historic Adaptive Re-use: UMass Lowell
This 1854 Italianate style building was set on a hill overlooking the Merrimack River as a residence for former US Ambassador Charles Allen. As the University of Lowell grew, it extended its urban school campus around the Allen House, which had been vacant for 30 years. Last used as a residence for nuns, the Allen House offered great potential as ACS recognized the opportunity and challenge to renovate and update the building for administrative offices while also taking full advantage of its special qualities and spectacular views. The renovation required a total gut, removing the interior staircase and reorganizing two levels, as well as replacing all heating, plumbing and electric. With a dramatic conversion of the former dining room and its sweeping views, that space became the executive suite for the Chancellor. An open floor plan on the second level allowed greater access to the views.
University of Massachusetts
Public Higher Education