Tenth Street School
Historic Adaptive Reuse: Residential
Built in 1880, this Italianate-style building (formerly the Tenth Street School) had been vacant for several years and hadn’t been used as a school house since the 1970s. The L-shaped building featured two entries, including a side entrance that stepped down to a west-facing yard.
ACS expanded this opening by creating a full-width porch with sweeping sunset views of the Merrimack Valley. This gave the large building a more residential feel and enhanced its separate entrances, which converted well into two residential condominium units. The renovation included removing overlaid siding and replicating missing trim and other Italianate details such as scrolled brackets, paneled corner boards, and decorative window hoods. Inside, walls were removed to create an open, light-filled environment for kitchen, dining, and entertainment areas.